Cost Of A Boiler Service
Cost Of A Boiler Service
The average cost of a boiler service is £60. This seemes to be the going rate and is very cheap to keep your boiler working for many years to come.
Most people do skip this and feel it is bnot worth doing.
We beg to differ and this blog will show you why you need toservice every year.
5 Top Reasons to Service Your Boiler Every Year.
1) Keep your family safe – Carbon Monoxide
The engineer will test your boiler for leaking products of combustion i.e poisonous carbon monoxide gas which has killed people in the past.
This gas is invisible and odourless and is a silent killer as people will not be aware that it is present in the house until it is too late.
When an engineer services your boiler, they will check the room for spillage using a special meter.
2 -Avoid Winter Breakdowns!
Boilers are very prone to breaking down in the winter when you do not need it!
This is usually down to them being forced back into life after an easy summers holiday !
Having to suddenly work overtime does result in faults unfortunately which will affect the normal operation.
A service will avoid this and ensure a Warm home throughout the winter.
3) Reduce Your Energy Bills.
A build-up of grime and waste products inside the boiler will affect its efficiency, resulting in higher gas usage and of course higher bills for you!
This could cost you up to 10% in extra gas needed to run the boiler over the year.
A boiler service will remove any lingering material , ensuring the boiler can burn as efficiently as possible.
4) Save money on future repairs
Any boiler fault spotted quickly and rectified will save you money by preventing more costly repairs being needed in the future.
Prevention is always better than cure!
5 ) Comply with the law
If you are the landlord of a rented property, you are required by law to have an annual gas safety check on all gas appliances present.
A Landlords Gas Safety Certificate has to be renewed every year to ensure all gas appliances ( boilers, cookers, and gas fires ).in the property are safe to use.
A regular boiler service will ensure your boiler will pass this inspection every year.
Top 5 Free Warm Front Grants
Click On The Image To Learn More
Why Apply For A Warm Front Heating Grant ?
✅ There Is No Catch – We Guarantee it !
✅ If Your Application Is Accepted Your Grant Is 100% FREE
✅ You Will Reduce Your Energy Bills By Up To £300 Per Year
✅ You Will Add Lots Of Value To Your Home
✅ The Scheme Has Limited Funding – Ends Soon
Gas Boiler Servicing – How Often Should I Service My Boiler?
Unfortunately, this hard working appliance is often neglected when it comes to maintenance and regular servicing.
Indeed, in a lot of cases, it will only receive some TLC when it stops working!
Also, a lot of people are quite resistant to paying the £50-£60 average cost for servicing every year.
They do feel that they are only getting a quick hoover of the boiler for their money.
This money is well spent and we will tell you why.
Service Your Boiler Yearly !
To ensure that your boiler is running safely and efficiently, your boiler should be serviced as often as once a year.
£60 is a small price to pay for continued hot water and heating for your home.
Not having your boiler serviced could lead to faults, higher energy bills and your warranty ending early.
Unfortunately there are no home improvemnt grants for boiler service.
How often should Landlords service their boilers?
Most landlords are very reluctant to servicing their boilers usually due to the cost .
Fortunately we are finding that Gas engineers will perform a boiler service quite cheaply if this is done at the same time as the Annual landlords Gas Certificate that is required by law by all landlords.
If you are a landlord then having the boiler and flue system serviced annually in the properties you rent out is a legal requirement.
This annual service is an opportunity for a qualified heating engineer to look over the unit and make sure it’s running as well as possible.
This will give you the peace of mind that your heating system is running safely and efficiently.
Who should service a boiler?
A boiler must be serviced by a fully-qualified heating engineer .
Gas boilers – A Gas Safe Registered engineer is the only person qualified to service a gas boiler.
Oil & LPG boilers – An oil boiler must be serviced by an OFTEC registered engineer
Electric boilers -Electric boilers don’t need the same level of servicing as gas and oil boilers .
We recommend every 2 years
When should I have my boiler serviced?
While you can have your boiler serviced at any time of year, we highly recommend arranging one during the summer.
Having your boilers serviced in the summer, is a great idea for a number of reasons:
- Installers often have more free time in their diaries and you might even find that their rates are lower than during the winter months
- Be confident that your boiler is in the best possible condition ahead of the cold winter months.
The Benefits Of A Boiler Service
- you’ll have the peace of mind that it’s running safely.
- It will also give you the confidence that it’s running as efficiently as possible, helping to keep your energy bills to a minimum.
- keeps the boiler warranty valid. in line with the terms and conditions attached to your boiler warranty.
The Cons Of Not Servicing Your Boiler
By choosing not to have your boiler serviced annually the cons are:
- A rise in your energy bills
- possible carbon monoxide leaking from the boiler
- A fault that could lead to a boiler breakdown
- Face having to pay a repair bill that could have been avoided
What Does a Boiler service involve?
A thorough boiler service usually lasts around 30 minutes. The heating engineer does the following:
- Visual inspection for any signs of corrosion or leaking as well as checking the flame.
- The boiler casing is removed to check the components inside and clean where necessary.
- The flue terminals are checked to ensure they aren’t blocked
- Check that the gas pressure is correct
- The boiler fired up to check performance as it operates
- The flue gases are analysed
More here What Does a Boiler Service Involve?
How much will a British Gas boiler service cost?
British Gas Boiler service costs vary on boiler type but expect to pay between £60 and £80.
We hope this guide will inform you of the benefits of regular boiler servicing and of course all your other gas appliances too.
Look after your appliances and they will look after you.
Free Boiler Scheme
Did you know there are Free Grants For Boilers available.
British Gas And All The other Big 6 Energy companies are funding Free Insulation & Boiler Grants for all low income people and those on benefits.
British Gas have been indirectly funding the current Back Boiler removal grants scheme and the Free Boiler replacement Scheme For Over 17 Year Old Boilers.
This new boiler grant scheme is open to home owners only who receive a qualifying benefit.
Who Can Get A British Gas Boiler Grant?
To qualify for a free boiler grant from British Gas, there are some criteria you need to meet.
- you need to own a house or living with the home owner
- You need to have your energy supplied by one of the six major energy companies (EON, Npower, SSE, EDF, and Scottish Power)
- You or another member of your household need to be claiming benefits.
- Your current boiler needs to be at least 17 years old, and considered energy inefficient or you have a backboiler fitted.
British Gas Boiler Servicing
Book A British Gas Boiler Service /Repair
You can call out a British Gas engineer to book an annual service or to book an engineer appointment 24 hours a day, seven days a week.