Gov UK Grants – Free Insulation For Houses
Free Insulation For Houses ? – It does sound too good to be true actually.
The government is giving householders free money to make their homes more cosy and cut their fuel bills by up to £200 per year.
This is not a scam.
I have worked in the Eco industry for 9 years now and can confirm that this loft insulation scheme is very real and I have been personally responsible for thousands of free loft insulation installs over this period.
5 Reasons why you should Insulate Your Home Today
A quarter of all heat generated is lost through your roof. That is a lot of cash wasted!
2. You will save over £300 a year by insulating your walls and loft space.
That money will be better spent on a new holiday !
3. Your home will be a lot of cosier and comfortable in the cold and dark winter nights.
4. Your well insulated home will be more attractive to homebuyers when you do come to sell.
5. A lot of homes can still their their loft done for free!
How Do I Apply For Free Insulation ?
Fill In The From Below today and we will check your property and the size of grant awarded.
At the time of writing Feb 2022, there is only funding for Off Gas Homes such as electric heated etc.
Depending on funding levels ( which change all the time) we will let you know if you can get free insulation or if you need to make a small contribution
What Are The Benefits Of Insulation For Your Home?
Loft Insulation creates a barrier for your expensive heat to have to pass which will keep your heat in the house for longer instead of it escaping through the roof.
The Energy Saving Trust calculate that the average saving per year from installing loft insulation is approximately £240.
Your house will feel warmer during cold weather and improve the energy efficiency rating of your home.
You will also reduce your carbon footprint by around 990kg of CO2 per year compared to an uninsulated loft.
Can You Get Free Insulation if not on benefits?
Some councils do a scheme where you dont need to be on benefits to receive free insulation.
Ask your local council if they operate a LA FLEX Scheme.
Lagging your pipes with foam insulation is simple to do for most diyers and is another piece of the jigsaw in making your home as efficient as you can to keep your heating bills to a minimum.
It is relatively cheap to do and will cost around £1 per metre to buy.
You will probably do all your pipes for less than £40
Benefits of insulating pipe
- Insulating your hot water pipes reduces heat loss and will raise water temperature ( up to 4 degrees hotter ) than uninsulated pipes can deliver.
- Allows you to lower your water temperature setting.
- Protects your pipes from freezing and limits condensation.
- It helps any exposed hot water pipes retain their heat when running through unheated parts of the house.
- Prevents condensation on cold water pipes in humid weather.
Important – Pipe work in lofts
Very important that these pipes are lagged.
Loft Insulation prevents heat from entering into lofts which does keep your house warmer. However this does make the loft space colder and so all water pipes in the loft are at risk of freezing.
Protect these pipes by lagging them.
What is used to insulate?
Pipe sleeves made with polyethylene or neoprene foam are the most commonly used insulation.
Polyethylene has a high R-value of 0.030 and is an excellent and cheap choice.
Other benefits of this insulation are :
- This material is flame retardant
- sound-absorbent ( less noise in the pipes)
- It’s easy to apply because it is flexible and easy to slide over the pipe.
What tools are needed?
- bread knife
- hobby knife
- mitre box
- insulating tape
Cut the insulation tube to length and use a mitre box to cut angles of 30° and 45° at joints.
Pull the tube open along its length and push it over the pipe.
Seal any joints with double-sided adhesive tape or insulating tape. Job Done.