Free Solid Wall Insulation -Home Improvement Grants
Free External Wall Insulation – Coming Soon With Free Boiler
If your home is off gas (Electric –LPG – OIL Heated) Grants are now available for solid wall insulation.
Having external wall insulation fitted will reduce your bills massively and could save you up to £500 per year!
This grant is worth up to £12000 with very limited funding.
Why Are Free Wall Insulation Grants Available?
The government recognise that help for low income households in the form of Solid / External Wall Insulation Grants is vital to minimise heat loss, cut bills and reduce carbon emissions.
Solid wall properties are notoriously very cold and difficult to retain the heat inside your home.
Indeed off gas properties such as electric –LPG and Oil homes are massively expensive forms of heating and are so prioritised for assistance.
Funding has been made available from the Eco Scheme to insulate 20000 homes this year
Cost Of Solid Wall Insulation
Average costs for this measure at the time of writing ( Feb 2018 ) is from £75 – £120 per square meter.
You can expect to pay from £8000 for an average 3 bed semi of 80 square meters.
Are Solid Wall Insulation Grants Available For Gas Heated Homes?
From April 2022 when Eco 4 kicks in, gas heated homes will become eligible for A 100 % free grant for external wall insulation.
We anticipate MASSIVE demand and many applications will not be successful unfortunately.
Can Solid Wall Homes Be Insulated Internally?
Solid Wall Insulation Grants are available to help install both External Wall Insulation and Internal Wall Insulation.
The internal insulation is around one third cheaper to install but is more difficult to install as there is a lot of disruption involved to people living in the property.
What Are The Benefits Of Solid Wall Insulation?
- Installing External wall Insulation can save up to £635 a year off your fuel bill
- Breathable material is fitted to eliminate or prevent mould growth and penetrating damp from outside
- You will prevent up to 45% of heat loss from your home
- Improves the exterior decoration of your home
- Improves loose cracked render and damaged porous brick exterior walls
- You Get a 10 Year Guarantee
- You will be the envy of your street.
- You will add a lot of value when you come to resell your home.
- You will save lots of Co 2 being released into the climate.
- Variety of finishes available including smooth, tiled, painted, pebble-dashed, and brick slips.
- Your brickwork protected from the elements and fewer draughts and less condensation.
- No Planning permission needed.
- Improves weatherproofing and sound resistance.
- fills cracks and gaps in the brickwork, which will reduce draughts
- increases the life of your walls by protecting the brickwork
Why Apply For a External Wall Grant Today?
- Funding Is VERY Limited
- You will protect your home from heat loss
- You will save money on your heating bill
- You will lower your carbon footprint
- EWI does add value to your property, by improving its Energy Performance Certificate (EPC) rating.
- An Old G rated home could move up two EPC rankings as a result of having EWI
What Are Solid Walls?
These homes were usually built with solid walls before the 1920s.
A solid wall is constructed as a single series of bricks or stones that have no cavity. These walls are usually 9 inch solid walls but there can be granite or stone walls which are up to 16 inch depth.
An average cavity wall is usually around 12 inches or so.– and therefore no room for insulation inside the wall.
If your, it probably has external solid walls, and may also have internal solid walls.
What is solid wall insulation?
Solid wall insulation is purely attaching a layer of insulating material to either side of a solid wall, to prevent heat loss
This insulation is available for installing inside or outside your home and does the same thing whichever route you choose.
The idea is to lower the U value of your walls, and keep the heat inside your home for longer. A lower U value means that a unit of heat will take longer to pass through a material, in this case your walls.
How Many Solid Wall Properties are there in UK
28% of UK properties have solid walls, according to the Energy Saving Trust.
These house will have been built Pre 1920s without a cavity and are generally larger with high ceilings.
The heat loss from these houses is massive compared to the newer homes built with a cavity
Solid wall insulation can save you money and help fight climate change, all at the same time. It’s a win-win – and now’s the time to act.
Insulating solid walls can save you up to £375 per year on energy bills – more than any other kind of wall insulation.
How Are Solid Walls Insulated?
The basic principle of solid wall insulation is the same for insulating external and internal walls.
Insulating material to the walls is attached mechanically, and then it is plastered or rendered to provide a smooth finish.
Internal walls –There are two ways of insulating an internal wall.
Solid Insulation plasterboards – These are plasterboards with a foam based materiel on the back are stuck to your walls,
Stud Wall – a wooden stud wall is built and attached to the brick wall and then filled with insulating material.
Plaster board is then attached and skimmed with plaster.
Both processes will reduce your floor space, as the insulation is around 10cm – 150cm thick.
Door Frames- External Fittings -Skirting Boards, will all need removing and then reattaching
Do I Have Solid Walls?
If your home was built before 1930, there’s a very good chance that it has 9 inch solid walls.
Homes built after this were built with a cavity to stop any water ingress into the property
This will require an installer to attach a layer of insulating material to the wall, then cover it with render or cladding, before adding a finish.
Solid wall insulation cost
Solid wall insulation usually costs from £80 -120 per square meter depending on your area in the uk.
Are My Walls Solid Or Cavity
Look at the brick pattern on your outside walls
- The bricks will form an alternating pattern. You’ll see the long side of some bricks, and the ends of others.
- They will measure approx 9 inch at the door opening
- Drilling will hit the cavity after 4 inches. If you keep having to drill your walls will be solid
- Bricks will all be laid lengthwise, in a uniform repeating pattern.
- Will measure approx 12 inches at the windows
- Drilling will hit the cavity after 4 inches.
How to check if your house has solid wall insulation
You can check if you have solid wall insulation by :
- removing the cover plate on a switch or outlet,
- taking up a portion of a skirting board, and checking to see if there’s insulating material.
- Cutting a hole behind the skirting board or above kitchen cabinets, or
- inside a closet will usually reveal the truth.
Insulating Solid Walls.
Solid walls can be insulated effectively but the process is quite time consuming with the average time to install being over a week.
The benefits do outweigh the time spent and you should strongly consider this as an excellent investment in your property.
Will There Be Big Demand For Grants?
Solid wall Insulation is an excellent investment for all in solid wall properties for the reasons mentioned.
DO NOT MISS THIS GRANT
There were some grants up to £6000 available 3 years ago via the Green Deal Home Improvement Fund which were massively oversubscribed!
Lots of failed applications
See Our Full Index Of Grants & Help Available
See Our Full Index Of Grants On This Website
- FREE FIRST TIME CENTRAL HEATING
- FREE STORAGE HEATER REPLACEMENT
- HEAT PUMP GRANTS
- FREE BOILER / BOILER SCRAPPAGE SCHEME
- LANDLORDS GRANTS
- FREE HOME INSULATION PACKAGE
- FREE LOFT INSULATION
- FREE EXTERNAL WALL INSULATION
- FREE CAVITY WALL INSULATION