Landlords Home Improvement Grants 2022- Free Insulation
Did you know that there are Free Insulation Grants available to the occupiers of privately rented properties as it is they who pay the fuel bills.
Landlords or tenants are both eligible to apply for one or more insulation measures under the Government Home Improvement Scheme / Affordable Warmth Scheme.
Insulating your home properly is a good way of insuring against high heating bills and we recommend you take advantage of this scheme while funding is still available.
What Insulation Grants Are Available to Landlords ?
If the tenant is in receipt of a qualifying benefit, there are a number of free insulation measures we can offer you.
FREE LOFT INSULATION
FREE CAVITY WALL INSULATION
FREE INTERNAL WALL INSULATION
FREE EXTERNAL WALL INSULATION
FREE UNDERFLOOR INSULATION
At the time of writing Jan 2022, we can only offer Free insulation to off gas properties.
Landlords New EPC Regulations 2025
Landlords are required to have their properties up to a minimum EPC rating of C so these grants will help the private rented sector to achieve this very cheaply.
Are There Heating Grants For Landlords?
Other grants that could be available to landlords are
FIRST TIME CENTRAL HEATING
FREE REPLACEMENT STORAGE HEATERS
What Home Improvement Grants Are Available For Landlords?
Free Storage Heater Grants For Landlords
Available to replace faulty and inefficient electric storage heaters over 10 years old.
- Upgrading the ELECTRIC heating in your rental property using a free storage heater grant will improve the property’s energy efficiency rating.
- Modern electric storage heaters are up to 30% more energy efficient which means that your tenant will cut their heating bills.
- An upgraded heating system in your rental property will make it more attractive to future tenants.
- New storage heaters are much more reliable than old ones and will cost less to maintain.
- You can reduce your rental property’s carbon emissions with new energy efficient storage heaters.
Central Heating Grants For Landlords (1 st Time Only)
Available to properties that have no history of having central heating fitted.
If your property has never had central heating fitted and is currently heated by expensive electric heaters, gas heaters, or solid fuel, you may be eligible.
Free Loft & Cavity Wall Insulation Grants For Landlords
Your loft will be topped up to 300 mm and walls will be filled with rockwool / beads.
Free Internal & External Wall Insulation For Landlords
Open to electric solid wall properties only.
To qualify for A Landlord Grant your tenant must be on a low income ( LAD SCHEME ) or receive one of the following UK Benefits : (AFFORDABLE WARMTH SCHEME)
- Guaranteed Pension Credit (Savings Credit &State Pension do NOT qualify )
- Child & Working Tax Credit
- Universal Credit
- Income Support
- Income-Related Employment and Support Allowance & Job Seeker’s Allowance
- Carers & Attendance allowance
- Pip / Disability Living Allowance
- Industrial Injuries Benefit.
- Severe Disablement Allowance
- War Pensions Mobility Supplement
- Armed Forces Independence Payment (AFIP)
Are there any restrictions on Landlord Grants?
If your property is a minimum EPC rating of E, you will be eligible to apply for one or more of the Government Funded Heating & Insulation Grants to improve your property.
As long as your tenant on a qualifying benefit is living in the rental property from initial application until after the free measure is installed there are no restrictions.
The tenant will be free to move on without any money needed to be paid back.
Note – Even though the tenant is the applicant, they do not own any of the measures fitted on the grant and they are not allowed to remove anything from the property.
Who Should Apply for Grant, the Landlord or the Tenant?
With both parties agreeing to the work, both the tenant and the landlord can be the applicant.
Signed landlord consent will be required before any installation can take place.
Landlords – Apply Now For Your Grant
- Many rented properties need their insulation and heating upgraded and the government is providing thousands of £ worth of FREE funding to assist those on low income benefits.
- Heating & Insulation Grants For Landlords do help improve the EPC rating and Energy efficiency of their properties.
- In Many Cases they will be 100% Free if the current tenant in the property receives a qualifying UK benefit.
- Usually in rental properties , you will find that around 80% of tenants will receive a benefit which is good nesw for the landlords as it opens the door to potentially thousands of pounds worth of free insulation and heating measures paid for by the taxpayer.
- Another benefit of this scheme is that it can can help achieve improvements to the EPC ratings of all these properties above the minimum “E” level that is currently required to enable landlords to let their properties.
MEES Regulations For Landlords – Currently E
Since April 2018 , there are new rules governing the issuing of all new tenancies for private rented properties.
The government have decided that new tenancies can only be granted if the property is a minimum EPC rating of E.
Properties rated F & G on the EPC register can not be allowed to be put forward for rental and it is a criminal offence to rent out any property not complying.
Hefty fines are in operation and some landlords have already been fined up to £5000.
New MEES Regulations For Landlords From 2025 – Minimum EPC C
Under Minimum Energy Efficiency Standard regulations (MEES), from April 2025 all domestic rental properties in England and Wales must have an Energy Performance Certificate rating of C or better.
It will be illegal for you to rent out a property with a D -E -F or G rating and you could be fined up to £5000
This means that landlords will need to make a lot of improvements to their heating and insulation or they will not be able to rent their properties out and will be laft with a wasting asset.
This new law will mean that lots of landlords may lose out on valuable rental income if they have old properties in their portolio which will become worthless.
Why Apply ?
- You Can Increase the EPC energy ratings of all your rental properties FREE OF CHARGE!
- You can increase the value of your property AND make it easier to rent out
- You will comply with new legislation that forbids the renting out of properties that have an EPC rating of F &G
See Our Full Index Of Grants On This Website
- FREE FIRST TIME CENTRAL HEATING
- FREE STORAGE HEATER REPLACEMENT
- HEAT PUMP GRANTS
- FREE BOILER / BOILER SCRAPPAGE SCHEME
- LANDLORDS GRANTS
- FREE HOME INSULATION PACKAGE
- FREE LOFT INSULATION
- FREE EXTERNAL WALL INSULATION
- FREE CAVITY WALL INSULATION