Government Grants To Replace Storage Heaters 2023
rEPLACEMENT STORAGE HEATERS
FOR FREE !
- FREE AIR SOURCE HEAT PUMP
- FREE SOLAR PANELS
- FREE CENTRAL HEATING
- FREE STORAGE HEATERS
See Our Video
Why Choose Us?
Aidan Costello -Landlord
A very helpful service to access grant aided heating improvements. Followed up progress until new heating installed. thanks.
Kiran Patel – Landlord
“Had a boiler installed through WarmFront
Installers were very helpful and cleaned up after themselves. Very pleased.”
The Engineer who fitted my new gas boiler was thorough, professional, courteous and well-explained how the system worked. The Company were most helpful, accessible and very courteous. Overall, I receivd a first-rate service,which I woud highly recomend
Applying For A Replacement Storage Heater Grant Is Easy !
Take A 2 Minute Survey.
If Eligible Our Approved Install Partners Will Contact You To Book Your Free Survey
The Short Survey Will Check Your Existing Heating & Insulation Levels For Upgrades.
If Eligible You Will Be Booked In For Free Installs Of Heating & Insulation Within 14 days
Storage Heating Replacement - Look Here First
If it is time to replace old storage heaters because they are playing up or too expensive to run, you should read this page first to see if you are eligible for a Free grant .
Storage heater grants are worth thousands of £ to you if eligible.
You will get free insulation included with every grant too.
Which Benefits Qualify You For Storage Heating Grants?
Child Benefit – Child & Working Tax Credits – Employment & Support Allowance- Housing Benefit
Income Support – Job Seekers Allowance – Pension Credit – Guarantee & Savings – Universal Credit
Who qualifies for free storage heaters?
- You live in your own home.
- You receive one of these State Benefits: Guaranteed Pension Credit. Child Tax Credit. Working Tax Credit. Universal Credit. …
- You must have at least one faulty electric storage heater in your home.
Can you get a grant to replace storage heaters?
The government wants to move every one onto renewable heating so any grants to replace storage heaters will reflect this.
Rather than exchange storage heaters for free, you may be able to apply for Free Solar Panels, or A Free Air Source Heat Pump, or A Free Central Heating System.
Take a short survey and we will come back to you.
when electricity is cheaper
Can I get a grant to replace old radiators?
There are no grants available to replace old radiators even if they are leaking. If you need to replace radiators you will need to fund them yourself.
Screwfix will probably be the cheapest option for you.
Are There Storage Heater Grants For Pensioners?
Yes Old Age Pensioners can qualify for free storage heaters if they are in receipt of Pension Credit . Gaurantee or Savings Credit both qualify for this grant.
replace storage heaters with central heating?
Yes you can replace storage heaters with central heating provided you have a gas supply to the house.
If no gas you can expect to pay around £1500 for a new supply unfortunately.
Do check our free central heating page too for a grant.
Can Private Tenants / Landlords Apply For Free Storage Heaters
If your home has existing storage heaters you will not be eligible to apply for the Free Storage Heater Grant.
It is possible for you to apply for free central heating ( if you have a gas meter fitted ) or renewable heating such as free solar or air source heat pump.
Please see our LANDLORDS GRANTS PAGE
storage heaters vs electric radiators
storage heaters Pros & Cons
- Uses cheaper night-time electricity tariffs so heating will be cheaper
- Keeps your home warm throughout the night
- Low installation costs
- Require little maintenance
- No fossil fuels burnt
- Very heavy and bulky
- Poor energy-efficiency – heater loses heat as soon as it is stored, warming the house overnight unnecessarily
- Poor control of heating must be set a day in advance
- Leaves you cold when temperature drops – if you are unprepared for cold weather, changes to your heating won’t come into effect until the next day
- Wasted energy when temperature rises – charge stored in expectation of colder weather will be wasted
- Storage heaters can run out of charge by early evening
- Controls can be difficult to understand
- Can cause stains on walls
- Under an Economy 7 tariff, any electricity used during the day, including top-up heaters for when your storage heaters run out of charge, will use expensive day time rates
Electric Radiators Pros & Cons
- Lower running costs than conventional electric heaters –
- Precision temperature control to within 0.5 of a degree – helps maintain a comfortable environment with minimal wasted power
- Easy DIY installation – simply screws to the wall and plugs in
- Requires little to no maintenance
- No fossil fuels burnt
- Slimline, stylish and unobtrusive – designed to complement all properties
- 24/7 programming – allows you to fit your heating schedule to your lifestyle
- 100% recyclable – our Haverland RC Wave radiators are made from high grade recycled aluminium and are themselves 100% recyclable
- Totally enclosed heating elements prevent blackening and staining of walls
- Uses standard electricity tariffs which is expensive
storage heater not working
Economy 7 Storage Heaters – Common Faults
Do check the circuit to find faulty components / switch / circuit breakers or measure resistance to check for failed elements in order to eliminate other possible problems. Usually when a section of a storage heater turns cold, it means that an element has failed. Spare parts that commonly cause a broken storage heater include (in order of occurrence):
- Faulty Thermostat – (Thermostats & elements commonly fail in 6-8 years )
- Broken Heating Elements
- Terminal block which causes loose connection
- Blown fuses and overheating causing the thermal cut-out to become activated. Be sure to check for these before deciding your storage heater might be broken
- If one side (or the middle of larger storage heaters) is cold, it is possible that one of the elements has blown.
- This is not something you will be able to check yourself, so do call a local electrician.
Should I Try To Fix?
If you are a competent diyer, you may want to have a go yourself. This involves taking off the front panel (remove the fuse / turn off the power first) and replace the thermostat. Try to do a thermostat manual reset.
- Turn off the power supply and remove it.
- If you are skilful, go inside and take off the front panel.
- At the top of your storage heater, look for three round polo-like items.
- The black cap nubbin with a red dot is the thermostat. Push it down to reset it. If you hear a click, it should function on the next charge period. If not, then the thermostat could be faulty and needs to be replaced.
- Put back the front panel and turn on the power.
- Wait until the next off-peak charge overnight to see if it takes the next charge.
- If not, call an engineer for a quote of his services or see if you should buy a new one.
alternative to storage heaters
Gas central heating is also an option too.
Infrared heating panels
High efficiency electric radiators
Electric combi boiler
Air source heat pumps
Ground source heat pumps
|Alternative to Storage Heaters Cost To Switch||Potential Cost|
|Electric radiator||£120 – £415+|
|Air source heat pump||£8,000-£12,000|
|Ground source heat pump||£12,000- £19,000|
|Infrared heating panel||£100 – £500+|
storage heating repairs
Try the above sites for electric engineers. We recommend that old storage heaters ( over 20 years old) should be scrapped and new ones fitted.
Do of course see if you are eligible for a grant for free ones. See above
storage heater replacement cost- What Is A Ballpark Figure?
Storage heaters do vary in price, depending on the size, type and brand you choose. Basic models start from £150 upwards. You will need to pay extra for fitting as they need to be fitted by a qualified electrician. Expect to pay around £70 per heater if there is existing wiring and only a straight swap is needed.
For prices of electrians we recommend your first point of call should be one of the trusted trader sites